Bicester

 

St Edburg’s Church – Medieval

 

 

 

Coker Lane -Named after John Coker, manorial Lord of Bicester’s Kings End, who in 1793 formed an ‘’Association for the protection of property against Levellers and Jacobin’s’’

 

 

 

Airfield-Was home for the Royal Flying Corps, now home to Bicester Heritage.

 

 

 

Aunt Sally-The traditional game originated in Oxfordshire and is still popular in Bicester

 

 

 

Jenson Button-The racing driver has a home here

 

 

 

Ian Paice -The Deep Purple Drummer was brought up in King’s End

 

 

 

Chinese Lanterns- To celebrate the visits of Chinese citizens to Bicester Village

 

 

 

Garth Park – Garth House on Launton Road was originally called ‘’The Poplars’’ It was renamed ‘The Garth’ by a banker called Adolf Deichmann in 1876(Garth means Ground)

 

 

 

Queens Avenue – Built in 1939 and was lined with trees to celebrate the 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

 

 

 

Foxes- Bicester became a centre for Fox hunting in the late 18th century, hence the fox on it’s coat of arms

 

 

 

Lace and straw- The town used to make lace and make straw plaiting for hats

 

 

 

Bell Foundry- Edward Hemins was running a foundry here in 1728

 

 

 

Old Place Yard- Grade II dovecote

 

 

 

There were as many as45 names for the town until they settled on Bicester in the 17th century