Information linked to my hand drawn map
⦁ Royal estate under Edward The Confessor, the seat of his sheriff Aldwyn.
⦁ Late Anglo-Saxon settlement on the site of the present village alongside the bank of the Gyting Broc (the Guiting Brook ), the upper reaches of the River Windrush.
⦁ The name Guiting is believed to derive from the Anglo-Saxon word getinge, meaning rushing, which may refer to the Windrush River, while the name Power comes from medieval lords of the manor called Le Poer.
⦁ There were two mills in the 10th century, one at the Dyers, the other a Saxon fulling mill on the Fulbrook tributary of the Windrush. The Fountain Mill & pond at the bottom of Well Lane was built in 1812 & pulled down in the 1950s.
⦁ Stones on village green- remains of the base of ancient Market cross, found when the War Memorial was built in 1918.
⦁ The Dyers- Possibly where the woollen cloth made in the village fulling mills, was dyed.
⦁ White van - Watsons Bakery, closed in 2019, delivered fresh bread around the villages in a white van.
⦁ The Cotswolds Guy- Watsons Bakery is now a state of the art Delicatessen .
⦁ Foodbank white van - North Cotswold Food Bank, Glebe Farm Buildings,
⦁ Musician - In the Gloucestershire Militia Roll of 1608, a man called Thomas Edwards was mentioned as 'a musition'.
⦁ Foot marks- Some along 'Tewers' between cottages, others making the Wardens Way, Winchcombe Way and the Diamond Way. A local map can be bought from the Trust Office for a small donation to MacMillan Cancer Support.
⦁ Border decoration- Carved stone decoration around the Norman arch of St Michaels Church. There are abandoned quarries at Guiting where the "yellow" and "white Guiting" limestone was mined;
⦁ Hour Glass - Carved ornamentation on the19th C tympanum within the Norman Arch of the South door of St Michaels Church.
⦁ Face with tongue stuck out- Carving on the Norman North doorway pillar capital. There is also a beautiful green man on a wooden roof boss & another depicted on a carved stone corbel of the church Nave.
⦁ Stone pipes in border decoration - The Stone Pipe Company was established in 1806 by Samuel Hill in London. He started a factory at Fox Hill around 1809, producing 60 miles of pipework for Manchester & two and a half miles of mains pipes through Paddington, Oxford Street and to St Mary le Bone. London. , By 1915 the company was bankrupt, lots of the remains of the industry can still be found around the village in walls and buildings.
⦁ Monks- In 1898 , St Barnards Monastery was formed in the Old Vicarage, much to the dislike of local parishioners. The monks were forced to leave and eventually had a permanent home at Prinknash Abbey, near Gloucester.
⦁ Horse Shoe - The Old Forge.
⦁ Bell- Once The Bell Pub.
⦁ Chapel - Baptist Chapel built by public subscription in 1835 but closed in 2014,
⦁ Greyhound - There used to be a pub called the Greyhound down this lane.
Barley- The old Malting house
⦁ .Foodbank white van - North Cotswold Food Bank, Glebe Farm Buildings,
⦁ War Memorial- Built on the site of the Market Cross in 1920.
⦁ Trust Office - Lots of houses were put up for sale in 1934. A lady called Moyra Davidson, bought 12 cottages, to rent to local villagers, and these were later bought by the Guiting Manor Trust. The charitable trust was formed by Raymond Cochrane, who bought most of the estate in 1958 .This trust was replaced by the Guiting Power Amenity Trust in 1977 . The Trust continues to own and manage the Cochrane property A charity that aims to keep the village a local community, where the residents hopefully get involved in all the events,
⦁ Fox - Local hills are Fox Hill, Trinity Hill, Grange HIll, Guiting Hill & Sheep Hill
⦁ Cat- The name Castlett is from old english cattes slad, meaning valley/field of the wild cat.
⦁ Race Horse - Grange Farm is the home of Nigel Twiston-Davies, National Hunt Racehorse trainer and Carl Llewellyn his business partner.
⦁ Village Hall - Used by Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Cheery Club, Art Club, History Society, dog training and many others.
⦁ Smiley Face - The Cheery Club has been running for 70 years.
⦁ Bunting - Music and Art Festivals..The Guiting Music Festival was founded in 1970. It runs for ten days, starting in the last week of July every year. The Annual Open Gardens Event is held on the 1st Sunday in June. A Fete and dog show will be happening on 17th June..
⦁ Sheep - Sheep have been farmed in this area for hundreds of years. The 'Cotswold Lion' breed can still be seen at the Cotswold Farm Park.
⦁ Farmer's Arms -Donnington brewery
⦁ The Hollow Bottom - Once an iconic racing pub, now owned by Youngs Brewery.
⦁ Old PO - A Post Office and Cafe, popular with walkers and cyclists.
⦁ Tumulus -. The excavated foundations of the original Anglo-Saxon church and a large kerbed bell barrow .
⦁ Remains of an early Saxo-Norman Chapel. There are regular archaeological digs in the area, The last finding a substantial medieval building at Parsons piece.
⦁ Swifts - Local nature reserves, Greystones and Chedworth.
⦁ The Parish Church of St Michael and All Angels - It is of Norman origin, with a later Victorian South transept added.
⦁ Sheet music -Guiting Power" is a hymn tune by John Barnard, named after the village,
⦁ Book -SAS soldier and author Lofty Large grew up in Guiting Power.
⦁ Building with pyramid roof - a new composting Village Toilet has been built next to the church for the benefit of visitors and locals.
⦁ Father Brown -BBC 1 film 'The Aerodrome'.by Rex Warner, The Wyvern Mysteries (1999), Father Brown and Celebrity Hunted.
⦁ Written with the help of Roland and Mary Greenhill, and the booklet' Guiting Power with Farmcote'